Friday, February 21, 2014

DIY Monogrammed Pendant Necklace



I always see these cute little Monogram Pendants around on Etsy and all about town- it lead me to wondering, "Could I make this on the silhouette?" After several tries and learning all about resin and paper I figured it out and I am so eager to share it with you!

I thought this would make an amazing gift for my friend’s little girl who, by the way, is completely obsessed with her little monogram (what southern girl isn't?)






Isn't it precious? I have been asked several times how I made this, so I am going to attempt to explain and show everyone how I made this adorable little necklace!

Here is what you will need:


Silhouette Cameo (or any type of cutting machine)
Photo paper
Mod Podge Sealer (or any kind of sealer)
Foam Brush
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (or any type of resin, 
I just choose Magic b/c it was cheaper then resin)
Jewelry tray (these come in several different shapes and sizes. 
I got mine from Hobby Lobby)
Needle






The first thing you want to do is design your circle monogram. I did this on my Silhouette Studio software, but you could use any software that you have.

First, I made a circle that was the same size as the jewelry tray. Some of the trays will have the size right on the packaging but pay attention to what it is measuring as it sometimes will do the outside rather than the inside of the tray. With the one that I am working with I had to play with the size; just remember to use regular paper or cheap card stock while you are playing and adjusting so you won't waste all that costly photo paper. Go ahead and add color to your circle.

Once you have the size that is needed, you will make the monogram. You can use any font or style that makes you smile. I chose Monogram KK from dafont.com. I love this font for monograms. Once you have your monogram all ready, size it to the inside of the circle and add color to the font.




I try to add several to my page with different colors just so I won't waste all that paper. Now, why do I use photo paper? I have found that it works the best for me, with printing and not bleeding, when I put on the sealer. Once you have your design ready to go, send it to the printer and cut out with what you have (i.e. silhouette, cricut, hand, etc).

After cutting out your circles, you will need to seal it. When working with ink from the inkjet printers you will bleed ink, thus sealing it is very important. I seal my circles with Mod Podge Gloss. Just take a foam brush and brush it on, letting it dry for about 15 minutes then flipping it over and brushing it on the back, also letting it dry for 15 minutes. You need to make sure that it is very dry before you put the resin over it so that none of the resin will seep in to ruin your nice monogram. I tend to go a little over board and do the sealer twice before I put into the tray!



Once your circle is dried, you can put a little bit of the Mod Podge into the bottom of the tray. This will act like an adhesive, keeping the paper onto the tray and not bowing up; after placing the circle into the tray, I sometimes will brush on one last layer of Mod Podge directly onto the paper in the tray, leaving it to dry for about 15-30 minutes. I wasn’t kidding about going overboard. 

Once it dries, it’s time to use your Dimensional Magic. I love this stuff! So much cheaper than resin and it does exactly the same thing. Before taking of the top, you want to mix everything up in the bottom but do not shake it- this will cause tons of little bubbles and bubbles are not good for this project. Slowly turn the bottle from top to bottom a couple of times to get it all nice and mixed. 

The most important thing to do: when you squeeze some of the dimensional magic into the tray, be sure you are doing so on a completely level surface. You will notice quickly if you are not level and your pendant will be lopsided. 

As you slowly squeeze out the "DM" it will come out opaque- that is ok, as it will dry clear. Squeeze until it is completely full, and if you would like a dome shape just keep squeezing lightly till you achieve the dome you would like. If you get any bubbles just use your needle to pop them. 


Let this dry. It usually takes mine about 12 hours but I always wait 24 hours just in case (overboard, I know, I know). Do not touch it or move it; just leave it be, because if you do touch you will risk your finger print being a part of your pendant. Once everything is dry add your necklace or key chain to finish off the look!





Thanks for stopping by! I hope to see some of your monogrammed pendants!!


1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome post! Both the pendant and the "how-to" are great!
    Just what I need, another project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your feedback!